The Makana Sunshine Golf Classic
Wednesday, 3rd March 2021
Over 100 golfers travelled from around Eastern Cape to take part in the two day Makana Sunshine Golf Classic this past weekend. They enjoyed the best of the Sarah Baartman region thanks to the luscious green landscapes, stunning views of the sea, perfect greens, a variety of wildlife, birds, and plants at The Belmont Golf Club and Royal Port Alfred Golf Club.
The Golf Tournament which was in better ball format kicked off at The Belmont Golf Club in Makhanda on Saturday, 27 February with a whopping 60 players that came from areas such as East London, Queenstown, Nelson Mandela Bay Metro and Port Alfred. Then it ended off as a royal grand affair at the Royal Port Alfred with an additional 50 players who joined the challenge to win their place in the Tournament's overall top three.
The Makana Sunshine Golf Classic is an initiative of Makana Tourism in partnership with Sunshine Coast Tourism and supported by the Sarah Baartman District Municipality. It provided a fitting platform to showcase the beauty of the Makana and Sunshine Coast regions.
Makana Tourism and Sunshine Coast Tourism provide tourism development to the small towns, stunning beaches and river banks of the Sarah Baartman District within the Eastern Cape also known as the Adventure Province.
Players in the top six positions on each day walked away with these fantastic prizes:
- A bottle of champagne and African Safari Lodge one night stay for two in a Deluxe Suite including a continental breakfast. Accommodation prize valued at R1 460.
- Camping Chairs
- Crate of Tall Horse wine
- Magneto LED Solar Light and Cooler Bag
- Grahamstown Electrical Distributors hamper
- J&B Scotch Whiskeys
During the weekend, players were also fortunate enough to get their hands on great spot prizes which included:
- Hacklewood Hill Country House in Nelson Mandela Bay Metro: 5-star accommodation for a one night stay for two, including breakfast valued at R 1350
- The Beach hotel in Nelson Mandela Bay Metro: 4-star accommodation for one night stay for two, including breakfast value at R1 330.
- One round of golf for four players at George Golf Club valued at R 2 320.
- Golf compact kits
- Sweet and Salty Vouchers each valued at R100
On day two of the Tournament, players competed for the top three spots and each winner walked away with an awesome Makana Tourism hamper and Pick ‘n Pay shopping voucher. Shopping vouchers were valued from R2 500.
The Makana Sunshine Golf Classic results:
Day 1: The Belmont Golf Club
- Leon Classen and Rob Wilmot – 46
- Sky Albany and Sizwe Mdaka – 45
- Nathi Mbabela and Luyanda Mbabela – 44
- Justice Jonas and Zola Mgudwa – 44
- Andre Tolmie and Johnnie Niemand – 44
- Angus McRae and Allen James – 43
Day 2: Royal Port Alfred Golf Club
- Justice Jonas and Zola Mgudwa – 45
- Michael Gidana and Scott Jackson – 43
- Terry Counihan and Wendy Counihan – 42
- Darryl Hooper and Mike Meeser – 42
- Juan Pretorius and Rouxle Hattingh – 41
- Hermien Jones and Debbie Lacey – 40
- Justice Jonas and Zola Mgudwa - 89
- Nathi Mbabela and Luyanda Mbabela – 84
- Darryl Hooper and Mike Meeser - 80
Makana Tourism would like to say a big thank you to the following sponsors that contributed to the success of The Makana Sunshine Golf Classic:
Sarah Baartman District Municipality
African Safari Lodge
Pumba Private Game Reserve
Grahamstown Electric Distributors
George Golf Club
Pick ‘n Pay Grahamstown
Take a look at all the action that took place during The Makana Sunshine Golf Classic.