Safety Tips for Tourists
- Although you can drink Makhanda's tap (faucet) water if in doubt drink bottled water which is easily available.
- Makhanda has good doctors and dentists in the event of a medical emergency.
- It is best to wear a hat and sunscreen during the day in summer and keep an anorak or light jacket handy when temperatures fluctuate as it has been said that Makhanda experiences all four seasons in a day. Our July winters can be freezing.
- Makhanda and surrounds have no malaria or bilharzia.
Makana Tourism regrets that it cannot offer:
- Financial assistance
- Replacement of stolen items
- Insurance or legal advice
Out and about in Grahamstown/Makana and Frontier Country:
- Make a copy of your ID document and keep it in the safe at your hotel or BnB.
- Don’t carry more money that you intend to spend during the day or wear a discrete money belt.
- Be alert when withdrawing money from an ATM.
- Plan your route beforehand so that you don’t have to check a map on the street.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk purposefully and confidently.
- Keep to populated areas and avoid deserted streets at night especially if you are alone.
- Avoid taking short-cuts through deserted areas/parks/trails down Gun Fire Hill, particularly after dark.
- Mind your belongings especially in crowded areas. Use a bag with a strap that loops over your head and goes across your body.
- Don’t bring attention to yourself by wearing expensive jewellery or by showing fancy cameras/luggage.
- If you are renting a car make sure it is in good working order and check that windows and doors work properly before you leave the rental premises.
- Drive with your doors locked.
- Never leave luggage or valuables visible inside a parked car or attached to a roof rack.
- Park in well-lit areas at night and ask your accommodation provider if they have secure parking facilities.
- If you are travelling on to a remote area inform somebody where you are going.
- Camp in approved sites only and never pitch a tent in an open space or public area.
Makhanda Emergency Numbers:
AA RESCUE 0800 111 997
DAY HOSPITAL 046 622 3033
DENTIST 046 622 8503
ELECTRICITY & WATER 046 603 6000
FIRE BRIGADE 046 622 4444
LOCKSMITH 082 556 9975
PHARMACY 082 077 0040
POLICE 046 603 9152 / 046 603 9111
SAFE HOUSE 082 374 0937
SETTLERS HOSPITAL 046 602 5000